Immigration . International Investment. International Education

Federal Skilled Worker Program (Job Offer Not Required)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is the main program by which Government of Canada selects foreign skilled workers and professionals. In 2012, about 81,030 immigrants were admitted to Canada as permanent residents under Federal Skilled Worker Program. In this program, skilled workers and professionals are selected based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help new immigrants become economically established in Canada.

Between May 1, 2014 and Dec. 31, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will accept 25,000 complete applications for processing under this program. Within the 25,000 cap, only 1,000 applications per eligible occupation will be considered for processing within this same time frame.

Summary of Requirements

  • Must have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equivalent part-time) skilled work experience within the last 10 years
  • Must have English or French language result
  • Must obtain at least 67 points out of 100 points
  • Must have sufficient settlement funds

Who Can Apply?

To be eligible to apply under this program, you need to meet the minimum requirements as follows:

Minimum work experience requirements:

  • You must have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in one of the eligible occupations. Continuous part-time work experience might be accepted. The current list of eligible occupations that has been published in April 2014 includes 50 occupations and it is valid until end of Dec. 2014 unless it has been filled earlier.
  • You must have had this experience within the last 10 years.
  • Your work experience must be in managerial occupations, professional occupations or technical occupations and skilled trades.

Minimum language requirements:

  • You must include the results of an official language test from an approved language test agency. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply. Citizenship and Immigration Canada only accepts the results from these tests:
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): General training
    • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP): General test
    • Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)
  • You must meet the minimum level of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 (CLB 7) in either English or French for all four all language skill areas (speaking, listening, reading and writing) when you apply. If you do not meet the minimum language skills needed, your application will not be processed and will be returned to you.

What does CLB7 mean?:

TEF248 – 279206 – 232309 – 348309 – 348

Minimum Education Requirement:

  • You must have a completed secondary or post-secondary educational degree. If you obtained your degree outside Canada, your degree should be evaluated by an approved organization before you apply.

Minimum settlement funds:

  • You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family members after you arrive in Canada for at least 6 months. The money must be available to support the costs of living for yourself and your family.
  • You do not have to show that you have these funds if:
    1. You have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND
    2. You are currently working or authorized to work in Canada.

Selection factors and the point system

Selection factorsPoints
Pass Mark67 Points
Factor 1: EducationMaximum 25 points
Factor 2: Ability in English and/or FrenchMaximum 28 points
Factor 3: Work experienceMaximum 15 points
Factor 4: Age Maximum 12 points
Factor 5: Arranged employment in Canada Maximum 10 points
Factor 6: Adaptability Maximum 10 points
TotalMaximum 100 points

If your score is the same or higher than the pass mark of 67, then you may qualify to apply under Federal Skilled Worker Program. If your score is lower than the pass mark of 67 points, you will not qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker.

Who can be included in your application?

You can include your family members in your application. Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

  • Spouse: Refers to either of the two persons (opposite or same sex) in a marriage legally recognized in the country in which it took place, as well as in Canada.
  • Common-law partner: Refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people. This can be shown with evidence that the couple share the same home, that they support each other financially and emotionally, that they have children together, or that they present themselves in public as a couple.
  • Dependent children: Refers to the children of the applicant or those of the spouse or common-law partner.
  • Dependent child of a dependent child: Refers to children of dependent children of the applicant or those of the spouse or common-law partner.

Dependent children must:

  1. be under the age of 22 and not have a spouse or common-law partner, or
  2. depend substantially on the financial support of a parent and have been continuously enrolled and in attendance as full-time students in a post-secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority since before the age of 22 (or since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship, if this happened before the age of 22), or
  3. depend substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22 and be unable to provide for themselves due to a medical condition.

Processing time

Between 8-24 months

Governmental fees

The following governmental fees must be paid by the applicant.

Application fee: Must be paid when the application is submitted

  • Principal applicant: $550
  • Each family member aged 19 or older: $550
  • Each family member who is under the age of 19 who is married or in a common-law relationship: $550
  • Each family member who is under the age of 19 who is unmarried or not in a common-law relationship: $150

Right of Permanent Residence Fee: Must be paid before immigrant visa is issued

  • Principal applicant: $490
  • Each family member aged 19 or older: $490
  • Each family member who is under the age of 19 who is married or in a common-law relationship: $490
  • Each family member who is under the age of 19 who is unmarried or not in a common-law relationship: Free

Our consultation fee

  • Hourly consultation fee: $60 for each 20 min
  • Document review for Federal Skilled Workers Program: $1,000
  • Full representation for Federal Skilled Workers Program: $3,000

Contact us to book an appointment

You can contact Rostin Canada Immigration Services by phone, email or via web contact form below:

 Vancouver     (604) 358-1245 
 Toronto         (437) 888-4353 
 Tehran     (021) 460-93250 

Web contact form

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message


Updated on: February 8, 2014. Not considered legal advice. Subject to change without notice.

[ Go To Home Page ]   [ Back To Previous Page ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲